Shelby County Clerk's Office - Alabama
Wednesday, July 28, 2021
Skip Navigation Links.
Main Page
2021 Court Calendar
Mary H. Harris, Circuit Clerk
Deputy Clerk
Phone Directory for Court System
E-filing Information
Pro Se Alafile Registration
Absentee Voting
Passport Information
Records Request
Small Claims
District Civil
Circuit Civil
Domestic Relations
Child Support
Petition for Protection from Abuse
Traffic Court
District Criminal
Circuit Criminal
Court Calendar / News
Employment Procedures
Need an Attorney?
Passport Information

June 5, 2008

  1. Passport Application.
  2. Certified copy of birth certificate (must have a raised seal - hospital certificates are not acceptable). Birth certificates are mailed with your application but returned to you with your passport. Birth certificates can be obtained from your local health department. Birth certificate should be long form certificate with parental information. How to obtain an out of state birth certificate.
  3. 2 passport photos. These can be made at any location that handles passport photos. Example: CVS Pharmacy; Walgreen's; Wal-Mart photo shops, Rite Aid.
  4. Two checks. One made payable to the U.S. State Dept. for $110.00 and one payable to Mary Harris for $42.95 (this is $35.00 execution fee plus $7.95 for express mail). Should you have to expedite the process, the check to U.S. State Dept. should be for $187.56 and the check made payable to Mary Harris is $61.35 ($35.00 execution fee and $26.35 overnight mail). We are required to send them in a manner that can be tracked via USPS.
  5. Driver's License or photo ID.

It is currently taking 4-6 weeks for the National Passport Agency to process your application. Expedited service is 2-3 weeks.

Once you have acquired all of the above documents, please give my office a call. Effective July 1, 2011, applications are accepted and processed by appointment only. If you have any questions regarding the applications process, please give me a call at (205)669-3779. As of February 1, 2004, all passport applicants must appear in person. (Including minors under age 14.) Also, as of 2-1-2008, any minor under the age of 16 requires the consent of both parents.

The above information is for application for a first time adult passport. There are some special rules for children and/or minors so we ask that you contact us ahead of time and let us explain what is required for obtaining their passport. For additional information visit

Email Mary
Just One Look
Email the webmaster